Wednesday 7 October 2015

Episode 43: Divide and Conquer

It's been over a year since I posted anything on this blog. Did I give up blogging? No. Did I abandon any of the projects I've talked about on this blog before? No. Did I take up even more projects? Yes. This blog was a very convoluted place because I used to post everything from my game development work to Bible studies and even diary-like entries on my personal life. Now that I'm doing even more things, I've decided to have each of them on a different blog or website. Weirdest Best Friend will now contain posts about my personal misadventures and my view on things, so if you want to know where you can read about the video games I'm making, the rhema I've uncovered or simply listen to the podcast I started with some friends, read the rest of this post.

Yes, I finally founded my game studio


  I've been busier than I ever was in my years as a student, and I have never taken my CV anywhere to apply for a job. People hear about what I can do and bring jobs my way, and I have to turn some down, because I've only got 24 hours in a day like everyone else. So I've founded Illuminare Game Studios and we're still developing Project Monkey. It's grown into 2 projects. Project Monkey is a game that has been in development since 2012 for PC and consoles, while Project Bush Baby is the version of the game being developed for mobile platforms. Smart phones and tablets rely on touch and tilt controls, while PCs and consoles typically use regular game controllers, so the two games aren't identical as some things just don't work as well with certain control schemes. We're hoping to unveil the first gameplay images and videos for these games within the next few months, so watch this spot!
I won't say more about it on this blog anymore. If you're interested in it, follow @illuminaregames on twitter, or click on these links to follow via Facebook, Google+, IndieDB or YouTube. While we're still developing those, we'll be launching a smaller game by year end 2015 called Ludo Online. We're currently raising funds to run the game's servers (online multiplayer games need servers) and to run the marketing campaign when the game is out, and you can help by contributing anything from $2 upwards, or by just sharing this link with your friends: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ludo-online/x/8556249




I also started a podcast with some of my friends. It's called The Tao of Otaku. We basically talk about anime, video games, comics, fantasy novels, movies and so with a focus on the Afro-Caribbean world. If you're a geek, listening to our podcast will be a great way to kill the boredom that comes with menial chores like doing the laundry. Within 5 weeks of launch, we were featured in the New and Noteworthy section in iTunes. We fluctuated between the 2nd spot and the 8th spot in the top 30 New and Noteworthy podcasts most of the time.
This is the beginning of something beautiful for the Afro-Caribbean diaspora of geeks
They seem to update that list every few hours. We were also featured on the scrolling banner at the top of the iTunes podcast app, right next to podcast like BBC Minute, World News and Ted Talks.
Every Sunday, we release a one hour episode on iTunes, Soundcloud, TuneIn radio and Stitcher radio. If you've got an iPhone or iPad (or iTunes on your computer), you can listen to us here, otherwise, just click on any of the links above or download the other apps listed on your phone. The show notes for each episode are on taoofotaku.com, and you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Follow tolu619 on Orbi while you're at it

I also worked on a game for Orbi Technologies. That's the company behind the Orbi app that lets you post 9-second voice clips (people call it Twitter for voice). You should check out their stuff. So I made this game and technically, it's the first game I released into the market, even though it's not my game. Ludo Online will be my first. I'll close by saying that I'm working on the blog where I'll post my Bible studies and church notes from now on, but in the meantime, I'll leave you with this awesome video from my Ludo Online campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: