Sunday 8 January 2012

Episode 6: Boil Hotter, Get Sweeter

    The first week of 2012 just went by. In case I didn't say so earlier on this blog (which I doubt), I'm Nigerian and I live in Nigeria. Also, I'm a born-again christian. With that said, on the cross-over night at my church, our pastor told us some things that God told him about Nigeria in 2012. The fifth point (out of five) said "Nigeria will boil hotter, but get sweeter". Cool!
      Flash forward to later that same day (January 1st).  The president removed the subsidy on the price of fuel in the country, taking the price from N65 per litre to N140 per litre. A dollar is equivalent to 159.55 Naira (for my non-Nigerian readers). For Nigerians, this year has started on a really bad note. The cost of living just skyrocketed and most people have been criticizing the president (who, by the way, seems to be a puppet with no backbone or ego).
     I was amazed by the sheer amount of fuel subsidy jokes on the internet just a day after the subsidy removal. Facebook, twitter and blackberry messenger were so inundated with text posts and images that by the 3rd of January, I had heard literally ALL the jokes. Every joke I saw after the 2nd was a joke I had seen/heard before. Stuff like "TGIF. . . . . , na to go pop petrol 4 club" and "The best pick up line in Nigeria is 'baby, check it out. I've got a full tank!'" amongst many others. I'll post a few pics below.


       Just do a twitter search for fuel subsidy and see for yourself. Needless to say, there are protests and strikes opposing the subsidy removal. I'm not feeling the effects of the fuel subsidy removal yet (except in transport costs of course) but due to the strikes in protest to the fuel stuff, I won't be able to go to work for the next few days. I'll be working from home. The other 2 members of my 3 man programming team are staying at my place for a few days so we can write our first computer program as a team together.
    Since I don't have to leave the house early for work now, I'll be at the estate's basketball court every morning till the strike is called off to hone my skills. I haven't balled since last semester (3 months ago!). Also, I will have a bit more time for gaming. I'm at the finale of The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks on DS. I'll beat the game tomorrow and post a review. I'll even have time to practice a few songs on the keyboard. This strike actually isn't too bad for me.............hotter and sweeter huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment here: