Monday 10 September 2012

Episode 21 - Project Monkey - Gone till November

         It's sad to say, but I hard to make a tough decision. Me and my love decided that maybe we needed to take a break because she caught me spending more time with someone else. I've been spending a lot of time playing basketball this semester. We've been training hard for the pre-NUGA (Nigerian University Games) which should be in December and in the last two weeks, our team (University of Ibadan basketball team) has played five matches, just to get us in shape for December. The thing is, with all that time spent on basketball, I can't do much programming this semester and still get good grades so I've decided to stop programming until after my exams in November. This means I'm also taking a break from Project Monkey.
          I still want to get the game out in the first quarter of 2013 so when I resume in November, I think I'll get a friend to join me in coding the game, and then I'll get my second brother to learn modelling and join my other brother who's already making the models for the game. He just went back to school by the way, but he was able to complete the model for Mmiri (picture below) before he left. I'm trying not to get too many people involved in this project because this is supposed to be a learning experience for me. I could even use some of the default code that comes with the game engine I'm using, but I'm coding everything from scratch so that I'll learn how even the default codes work.
The model of Mmiri my brother made. Compare it with the original concept art
Concept art for Mmiri



          I may be taking a break from coding, but I'll still be working on the game in a way that won't affect my academics. I'll learn how to make the models so that I can make slight adjustments by myself whenever my brothers submit a model, and I'll continue jotting down my ideas on the game mechanics and level design. So below is all the previously posted concept art, and you can see screenshots or read about the game mechanics and characters in episodes 14, 15 and 19 of this blog. Before taking my hiatus from coding, I also created one last simple app for viewing GIF images on your computer without going through a web browser. You can download it from episode 16 of this blog.

Goshawk

Blitch

Electrizard

Obilicleon

Electrizard, Mmiri and Goshawk race it out!

2 comments:

  1. You know if I wanna learn modeling I'll need a laptop to myself...its almost time for school to resume, don' think dad'll give me the Dell to go with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember I started game programming with the laptops of three different friends before I got my own. It depends on how badly you want to do it. You can model the inanimate objects while Femi does the characters.

    ReplyDelete

Comment here: